St Andrew & St George¬†is a ‘cathedral-like’ Grade 2 listed building; the largest parish church to have been built in this country since World War 2. Impressive within, it has an atmosphere of prayer and welcome. The church was originally consecrated as St George’s, but was subsequently re-dedicated to St Andrew & St George in 1984, following the closure and demolition of St Andrew’s Church, nearby in Bedwell Crescent.

Consecrated in 1960 by the Bishop of St Albans, the Rt. Revd. Michael Gresford-Jones, in the presence of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother on Advent Sunday, 27 November 1960, she had previously laid the foundation stone in July 1956. It was designed by Lord Mottistone, then surveyor to the fabric of St Paul’s Cathedral, and built byMessrs Rattee and Kett of Cambridge at a cost of ¬£120,000.

Among the notable features of the interior are the interlacing arches and the stained glass window by Brian Thomas, installed to obscure the view of Manulife House when it was built next door. The campanile houses the loudspeakers for an electro-accoustic carillon.

You can download a list of past Clergy by clicking here.